Apr 10, 2011

The perks of being a lawyer.

Here I am. Stuck at being a law student. I suck at being a law student.Why do you suck at being a law student you may ask. Simple. Because it is B.O.R.I.N.G. Okay, personal rantings aside, when I really think about it, being a lawyer CAN be interesting. Not WILL, not IT IS GOING TO but CAN be interesting. Heres why:

1. You get to wear smart clothing, look sharp and buy expensive suits. This is vital so that A: You wont commit contempt of court B: Clients trust you. Looking like failed person in life wont get you many clients. Zegna suits, here I come :)

2. You get to use bombastic words to explain the simplest of things. This will mean that you will always sound smart. Go to McDoonalds, you order a Big Mack but the numbskull behind the counter gives you a McChicky. You eat the burger anyways but soon you develop an allergy. You call the owner and threaten him with a lawsuit. "You sir, as a superior towards your subordinates, are vicariously responsible towards the actions of your subordinates" Vicariously. Fuyooo =.="

3. You get to dramatize your life..and look cool Dylan Mcdermott style. Picture this. You're at a wedding. You're eating. Suddenly your phone rings. You pick up the call. You number 2 (refer to point number 2) your friggin ass off. Everyone at the table looks at you in sheer suspense. You get up, wipe your face and say oh so dramatically: "I have to save someone from the death penalty. I believe he's innocent". You say this with so much tension and drama in your face  that you make the people around you feel constipated. You get up and rush towards your car, face all tensed. Drama.

4. You get to have the words" *Name goes here* Advocate and Solicitor, High Court of Malaya" on your name card. That in itself is friggin cool.

For me personally, the best part of being a lawyer is to able to make a difference in someone's life. Doctors call themselves healers. They call themselves life savers. I honestly believe that they have the right to claim all that because in all honesty, thats what they do. How about lawyers. What can we call ourselves? Are we healers? Are we life savers?

We may not be healers or lifesavers but believe me, we can make a difference in someone's life. Maybe in the future I'll help prevent an innocent man from being hanged for a crime he didn't commit. If something like that ever happens, I will know that I gave a woman another chance to call someone her husband, a mother and father another chance to call someone their son and a few kids another chance to call someone their father.

If that day ever comes, I will smile and think to myself: Law School is shit. But I'll be glad to be swimming in chest high shit if it meant that I'll have the chance to make a difference.

2 comments:

  1. "For me personally, the best part of being a lawyer is to able to make a difference in someone's life." - you got it! There are many misconceptions about what lawyers truly do, and every time is an opportunity to prove the critics wrong. Your mindset, when set to achieve realistic goals, will help you find a niche in your field. Good luck in your career! :)

    Regards,
    Jacquelyn Gwin

    ReplyDelete