Aug 23, 2011

How to quit smoking .

We come to the age old question of: How to quit smoking.

I was a heavy smoker. A true legend. I used to smoke a pack a day. 20 sticks of ciggies. Sometimes more. If I was hanging out with the boys, one pack would be gone in a few short hours. About 24 days ago, I decided to quit smoking. So I did. I didn't stop gradually. I stopped immediately.

So how did I quit smoking?

A. Nicotine patch.
B. Nicotine gum.
C. Chew pen.
D. Khidmat Bomoh
E. Non of the above.

The answer is E, non of the above. Here's how I did it.

I woke up from a nap. I looked outside the window. In front of my house is a field with a playground smack in the middle. The sky was bright blue and clear. It was like I just saw the most beautiful painting in the world. The sound of children laughing and my mother cooking downstairs were like music to my ears. My phone buzzed. It was Fiona. She just woke up and sent me the sweetest text ever that made me smile oh so wide. I took a deep breath, closed my eyes, exhaled and thought to my self: This is life.

Two seconds after exhaling I started coughing. My chest was hurting, my throat felt like it was on fire and my eyes were watering. After a few bouts of disgusting smoker's cough, I finally managed to straighten up and gasp for air. Than it struck me.

The smoking's got to stop.  Because if it doesn't than there is a good chance the wonderful life I'm living right now, won't be wonderful as wonderful in a few short years. That's IF I still have a life to live with when that time comes.

You want a magic drug to help you to quit smoking? There ain't any. From my personal experience, nicotine patches, gums etc are pure bullshit. You want the secret to quit smoking? Here's the secret mate.

Love. That's the all elusive fucked up drug everyone is trying to find. When you love yourself and the people around you enough to stop killing you and them slowly with poison, believe me mate, you're gonna want to quit. Trust me, I did just that.

3 comments:

  1. i knw its the 6th time su butttttttttttttt at least i never quit trying :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You make a good point. The bottom line is this: more important than the method one uses to quit smoking is that same person's drive and desire to kick the habit. One has to be willing to face that craving and just say no.

    ReplyDelete